Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Cooking Heros

Ok so once again, I have a new idea that has entered my head, this happens fairly frequently and I'm always distracted by my latest bright shiny object. My newest idea is....Altered Books! Yeah its a great idea. You take an old book and you alter it kinda like you would a scrapbook and you all know how I am about scrapbooking. I can't actually say that this is an original idea thought I've got some unique ideas about how to execute it. Am so excited about this whole thing that I even joined a yahoo group. Course, have you looked at all the yahoo groups I belong to? The last one I joined before the altered book one was a paternoster group. Oh, I know, you are wondering why in the hell I'd join such a group, but you know this group is about the history of the prayer bead. I totally love prayer beads and most all religions do have them. Of course, most of these group members are from the SCA. I really ought to join that group. I'd plans to do so next year, but am not sure that will happen. Though I'd already thought out who I wanted to be...Chardine de Mesange. And in case you've no clue who that is, might I refer you to your genealogy charts? I'd learned how to make the catholic prayer beads and I've made several sets of them. I even saw on some web site that the makers are bestowed a special blessing...I just wonder if the blessing is still in effect for the non-catholics? But I didn't think it polite to ask so I didn't email them.
Cooking? Who'd thought it! Ok, I'm all for new hobbies. Hobbies ought to be fun and something you are just totally passionate about and are a joy in your life. So if want cooking that is cool and though you said nooooo receipes, I'm still gonna share a few.

Brie, Pear and Walnut Sandwiches
1 cup chopped walnuts
8 hearty bread slices
8 ounces Brie cheese, thinly sliced
2 medium ripe pears (Bosc, d'Anjou, Comice or Bartlett), cored and sliced ¼-inch thick
1 cup watercress tips and leaves, rinsed and patted dry

1. Toast walnuts in a small sauté pan over medium-high heat until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 300°F.
3. On half the bread slices, place equal amounts of the walnuts, Brie, pear and watercress. Top with remaining bread, place on a baking sheet and bake until cheese is melted and bread is golden brown, about 10 minutes. Serve hot.
Makes 4 servings.

I got lots of these little sandwich type things and they are generally quick and never what others will expect *winks* Its a great way to start learning some cooking skills.

Worked both my jobs today and finished grocery shopping. I've been trying to get through the 7th season of "Buffy" on DVD, but I did take time out to watch "Hero" and my god was I impressed. Except for the greek tragedy stuff (which really grates on my nerves) it was brillant. I loved the colours, the movement, the fantastic scenery, the action and even the storyline. It was all good. And I liked the message of the film...the questioning and attempting to answer what makes a hero...and how prespectives play such a vital part of that whole process. Wonderful movie and I highly recommend it. Okay, so who do you think was the hero of the movie?

Course you know there are hero sandwiches as well?

Daphne sent me great pictures of her children and if I can get them scanned will put them up here so ya'll can see them. The one of Kylle fishing like Tom Sawyer is way cool.
We had a craft sale at work and I bought a stuffed snowman and put him on the shelf in my office just to get all into the holiday mood. He's got a black hat and jacket with little buttons and a multi-coloured scarf and he's holding a broom. Its supposed to freeze tonight, so I've got the a/c off *laughs* for the first time and I've taken down the cuddley quilts. Won't be turning on that heater, intend to enjoy my cold winter weather that I love so much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home